5.31.2004

Quotes

Here are some quotes that I love. Some of them you have heard, some of them you haven't.

"When I'm gone I'll be remembered as the workin' man who put his point across
With a right hand full of knuckles 'cause today's the day I show old Oney who's the boss." - Johnny Cash

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and start slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken

"The shortest distance between two points is a fist to the face." - from Shit Magnet by Jim Goad

"A person's life story is equal to what they have plus what they want most in the world, minus what they're actually willing to sacrifice for it." -from The Contortionist's Handbook by Craig Clevenger

"Society, man has no prize to offer that can tempt me; not one. That which interests a town or city or any large number of men is always something trivial, as politics. It is impossible for me to be interested in what interests men generally. Their pursuits and interests seem to me frivolous. When I am most myself and see the clearest, men are least to be seen...and that they are seen at all is proof of imperfect vision." -Henry David Thoreau, used as my senior quote

"Hate every motherfucker that's in your way." - Marilyn Manson, The Beautiful People

"Storm the Reality Studio.
And retake the universe." - William S. Burroughs, Nova Express

"i haven't fucked much w/ the past but i've fucked plenty w/ the future." - Patti Smith, babelogue

"You'll never make a saint of me." - The Rolling Stones

"The sky above the port was the color of television, tuned to a dead channel." - William Gibson, the opening line to Neuromancer

"I may have faults, but being wrong ain't one of them." - Jimmy Hoffa

"They say hard work never hurt anybody, but I figure why take the chance?" - Ronald Reagan

"To love oneself is the beginning of a lifelong romance." - Oscar Wilde

"The seven deadly sins...food, clothing, fire, rent, taxes, respectability and children." - George Bernard Shaw

"He neither drank, smoked, nor rode a bicycle. Living frugally, saving his money, he died early, surrounded by greedy relatives. It was a great lesson to me." - John Barrymore, American actor

"Wolves which batten upon lambs, lambs consumed by wolves, the strong who immolate the weak, the weak victims of the strong: there you have nature, there you have her intentions, there you have her scheme: a perpetual action and reaction, a host of vices, a host of virtues, in one word, a perfect equilibrium resulting from the equality of good and evil on earth." - Marquis de Sade, French author

"How drab and empty life would be without these sins, and what dull dogs we would all be without a healthy trace of many of them in our make up! And has not the depiction of these sins and their consequences been the yeast in most fiction and drama? Could Shakespeare, Voltaire, Balzac, Dostoyevsky, or Tolstoy have written their masterpieces if humanity had been innocent of these sins? It is almost as if Leonardo, Titan, Rembrandt, and Van Gogh had been required to paint without using any primary colors." Ian Fleming, English novelist

"I've over-educated myself in all the things I shouldn't have known at all." Noel Coward, English actor and playwright

"Conscience: the inner voice that tells us someone else may be looking." - H.L. Mencken

"It is the hour to be drunken! To escape being the martyred slaves of time, be ceaselessly drunk. On wine, on poetry, or on virtue, as you wish." - Charles Baudelaire, French poet

"If the Good Lord had meant for us to drink Martinis, He would've given us mouths." -Anonymous

"I always keep a supply of stimulant handy in case I see a snake - which I also keep handy." -W.C. Fields

No comments:

Post a Comment