5.31.2004

Coffee Houses Part 2

[This is the second article I wrote, reflecting on what I had wrote in "The Accusations: Coffee Houses"]

Since I've been back to San Diego, I have noticed some things. First of all, I understand what all the fuss is about coffeehouses now, to a degree. I wrote the article about coffeehouses when I was on deployment at a time when I wasn't able to go out and enjoy coffeehouses, only to come home and realize that people have overrun just about every one I used to go to. Just last night, I decided to go out and enjoy some grub at one of my favorite diners and hit a coffeehouse for some deep mind-probing while reading the Redneck Manifesto. To my chagrin, they were chock full of people, hipsters or not. I couldn't see quite who they were because I didn't stop the car long enough to look. There were too many people per square foot of these places to know that I was not going in there for any reason. This upset me for purely selfish reasons. I found it first. I have the innate ability to find things before they become popular. It's always been this way. I went to Lestat's at a time when there were very few people going there. I kind of knew when the owner purchased the building next door for entertainment purposes that it was going to blossom. I'm glad for the owner though. He's always treated his customers with respect. I guess the logical extension of anything good is that people are going to come root it out eventually. I know that if I had a coffeehouse, I wouldn't want one that no one went to. Businesses were made to flourish. I guess I should be glad that it is. I just wish all the people would go away. Mail order your coffee and stay at home on the couch. I've always been one of the first to find something original, only to be scared away by throngs of people, regardless of what they look like or what they are doing. I'm either too late or too early to find something good. I think this is just from living in California. The only reason I really care is because I actually like to think while I'm there. I'm not there for the scene. I'm there for a library environment with little distractions. I'm there to get away from everybody and I can't. So, I found a coffeehouse that only a few people go to because of it's location and I'm fine with it. I'm sure sooner or later I'm going to be bombarded by people. Hopefully by that time, I'll have my own apartment and I'll make my own coffee and I'll sit at home, the one last place where other people aren't going to take over. They'll just raise the rent so I can't afford to live there anymore. After that, I'm moving to the boonies with the hill-dwellers.

No comments:

Post a Comment