5.31.2004

The Apple Mouse Sucks

Today, Steve Jobs, CEO of Apple, posted a short entry on the Apple mouse that comes with their new computers. For once, I decided to post back in the comments area, defending my position that the mouse doesn't have functionality like other third party mice, like Logitech.

He wrote in the blog, "People keep harassing me about a 2nd button on our mice. How annoying. I guess that's why Google has this useless 2nd button on their home page..."

In the comments area I wrote this: "I've been in such a Mac loving mood lately that I decided that since I bought my G5, I never really gave that mouse a chance. I'm a first time Mac user...I switched last November and I am a faithful Apple follower now. But I bought a new mouse before I even got my computer home, because I knew I wouldn't use that mouse, just from trying it in the store and using my friend's mouse at his house. I have a Logitech 2-button mouse with a scroll wheel, and I have a tiny back button on it, for surfing the web, which is actually faster than hitting the back button on the browser most of the time (I think it's the same function as the backspace on your keyboard). So last week I got the Apple mouse back out, plugged it in, and I just couldn't do it. I do too much clicking around and I love the scroll wheel. And the back function is so useful to me. I like to do as little wrist movement as possible, which is also why I have a mouse accelerator. I've been a mouse Nazi ever since I've been around computers. The Dell ones at my work still have the rolling ball underneath and the thing always gets stuck and dirty. Ugh. The mouse is the one thing that I'm extremely picky about. And for gaming, the Apple mouse is virtually useless.

I love Apple product considerably more than anything on the market, but the mouse is the ONE thing that I don't understand. But it certainly looks more stylish than the black Logitech that I am using at the moment. I think maybe Apple could come up with another mouse, because I would like the design of Apple, integrated with the functionality of the one I have. "


I just thought it might be helpful to explain why the rest of us don't like the mouse they have. I guess it's personal preference, but I assume that overwhelmingly people don't like that mouse.

At any rate, his blog is rather notorius for taking pot shots at Microsoft and other industry super-corporations that he is in the business against. I think it's kind of funny. For example, this post is about how Bill Gates did a Matrix Spoof. He so eloquently writes, "In their great tradition of ripping off things in a pathetic way... They would manage to take the greatest creations and transform them into shit.

Steve Jobs, you are my hero. Except for that mouse.

No comments:

Post a Comment