2.02.2009

iPhoto '09 Complaints and Grievances

The new iPhoto is great, but there are some minor problems with it.

When you publish anything via Facebook or Flickr, it automatically makes an album on Facebook and a set on Flickr. Really annoying. I guess on Facebook it's not that bad, but on Flickr, you have to go back in and delete the set if you don't want it added as one. The other thing is, you can't change the metadata before uploading it. With the free Flickr Uploadr, you pick out the photos and then do batch operations and tagging, naming, etc. I'd recommend using Flickr Uploadr instead. As for Facebook, it's just the way it goes I guess. It sucks because I would really like to just use iPhoto instead of 3rd party alternatives, but I'm going to use what's better.

The facial recog software said my wife's stepmom looks like the little Arab guy from Bahrain that would pick up our beer pyramids after a night of drinking at the base. I thought that was pretty funny.

Using the media browser in Finder doesn't recognize Faces or Places under Photos.

Also, if you set a place as out in the middle of the ocean it doesn't show up in the columns in list view. I would imagine there is a fix for that. I was just going to find a funny underway photo and I geotagged all those smack dab in the middle of the Pacific. Needless to say, I couldn't find them later in list view. I also saw something on the discussion boards about a guy who was geotagging dives and he couldn't do it either. Hopefully that gets fixed.

On the other hand, loading photos from the camera into iPhoto is much, much faster and in general just going through your photos is much faster and more fluid. Also, they've implemented a fade when switching between photos.

As usual, Apple comes out with some great software, but you have to wonder what some of the members of the team were thinking when they made it. It's the little details which occasionally Apple gets wrong.

So far here's my map...that's about all I'm going to get as far as far as geotagging goes. I don't have a photo for UAE and I'm not sure if I took any photos when I stopped off in Spain on my plane flight to Bahrain.

No comments:

Post a Comment