12.11.2004

Turkey Chili Recipe

If I could only have one food to eat for the rest of my life?

That's easy. Pez. Cherry flavored Pez. No question about it.

Just kidding. (For the uninitiated, that's a famous quote from my favorite movie of all time, Stand by Me.)

Seriously, it would probably be chili. If there is one food that I can eat a lot of over a period of days, it's chili. About 3 weeks ago I was reading in Men's Health and they had a good recipe for some 3-bean turkey chili. Since then, I've made 4 batches of it and I think the best one is the one I made tonight. Let me give you the recipe and some tips on how to make it slightly better then the original recipe.

3-Bean Turkey Chili

Ingredients:
-1 tbsp olive oil
-1 small onion, diced
-1 lb lean ground turkey breast
-1 can diced tomatoes with jalapenos
-1 10.5 oz. can each of chickpeas (garbanzo beans), black beans, and kidney beans - all drained (I couldn't find 10.5 oz. cans, so I just bought the regular size cans.)
-1 can of low-sodium chicken broth
-1/4 tsp each salt and cumin
-1/8 tsp each cinnamon and cayenne pepper

How to make it:
In a large pot, heat the oil on medium low. Add the onion and saute until soft (3-5 minutes). Add the turkey and brown it. Add the remaining ingredients. Stir and bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and let simmer for 20 minutes. Makes six servings.

Per 1-cup serving:
292 calories
30 grams of protein
32 grams of carbs
5 grams of fat (0 saturated)
11 grams of fiber
787 milligrams of sodium

That is the regular recipe. If you're so inclined, I would recommend using pinto beans vice garbanzo beans, but it's really up to personal choice. If you're making a double batch, you can make it with one can of each, then double cans of both kidney and black beans. Another tip: I would definitely recommend letting it cook for more than 20 minutes as the recipe suggests. At least 30 minutes, especially if you're making a double batch. I would also recommend buying oyster crackers and some shredded cheddar cheese to your shopping list for added flavor. Do NOT buy Von's oyster crackers, or regular crackers for that matter. You could also add some chopped bell pepper, but it's up to you.

And remember, chili is always better the next day.

No comments:

Post a Comment