6.27.2004

Coke is Disgusting

As much as I've ever tried to like it, I just can't stand to drink Coke. I remember when I went with my family on a tour of Meremac Caverns in Missouri, and the guide had pointed out that there was an acid that is used to form the stalagmites/stalactites that is found in a beverage that we drink all the time. Then the guide asked us if we could guess what it was. I was trying to think...what would I drink that has an acid in it? Then my dad yelled out, "Soda!" Not that it was a defining moment for me, but I've always hated anything carbonated that was really sweet. I've never liked Coke, except with rum or whiskey in it.

So this past week, I had decided to take the edge off after a long week at school and work. So I go into the kitchen, get some ice, and poured some rum into a glass. I open the fridge and grab the Coke that had been sitting in there for about a month and a half from when I had bought a 12-pack to mix with drinks. Anything that sits too close to the vent in my fridge has a bad habit of freezing (I know, I should adjust that). So the can froze and then the top burst, leaking soda all over. I looked at it when I first noticed it, and I put off cleaning it for a couple days. Today I cleaned out the bottom of my fridge and this is what I found on the glass pane by the crisper:

That is what Coke looks like after it leaks and sits for a few days at the bottom of your fridge. It had the consistency of cold pancake syrup. To think, that's what your body has to process when you drink soda. Usually the argument is Coke vs. Pepsi. Consider me nonpartisan in that debate. I hate all sodey-pop equally. I'll take my water, tea or coffee. Ironically, I don't mind a Red Bull now and then. But I could never drink it like most people drink soda.

For anyone who likes a healthy caffeine drink, I read in Men's Health that they recommended the energy drink Invigor8 which is supposed to be good for you. I tried it and I like it. It tastes a lot like V8 Splash, but with caffeine.

No comments:

Post a Comment