10.14.2005

3-Bean Turkey Chili (aka, Three Amigos Chili)

Update: I'm reposting this recipe for posterity and because it's getting frigid again. Ever since it got nippy around here at the beginning of September, I've been making a pot of chili about once a week. I've got a new spice rack, so I added a couple things to give it more zest.

The original recipe from Men's Health is great how it is, but here are some optional things I've started adding:

-Some diced jalapeno rings
-1/4 tsp of chili powder
-Some chives to taste, usually in my bowl of chili after I cook it

If you are congested, these piquant ingredients tend to help with that.

I just found another recipe for Flu-Fighting Chili, which hopefully I will not have to make this year.

On with the show...


"If I could only have one food for the rest of my life?

That's easy.

Chili. 3-Bean turkey chili. There's no doubt about it."

If there is one food that I never tire of, it's chili. That spoof was from the movie Stand By Me where Vern waxes lyrical about his favorite food, Pez.

Here is the recipe and some tips on how to make it slightly better then the original recipe.

3-Bean Turkey Chili

Ingredients:
-1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
-1 red onion, diced
-1 to 1.5 lb lean ground turkey breast
-1 can diced tomatoes with jalapenos
-1 can each of low-sodium chickpeas (garbanzo beans), black beans, and kidney beans, drained.
-1 can of low-sodium chicken broth.
-1/4 tsp each salt and cumin
-1/8 tsp each cinnamon and cayenne pepper

How to make it:

In a large pot, saute the onion in the olive oil on medium. Add the turkey and brown it. Add the remaining ingredients. Stir and bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and let simmer for 20 minutes. Makes six servings.

Per 1-cup serving:
292 calories
30 grams of protein
32 grams of carbs
5 grams of fat (0 saturated)
11 grams of fiber
787 milligrams of sodium

That is the regular recipe. I would definitely recommend letting it cook for more than 20 minutes as the recipe suggests. At least 30 minutes, especially if you're making a double batch. I cook it for 45 minutes. I would also recommend buying oyster crackers and some shredded jack/cheddar cheese for added flavor. Do NOT buy Von's oyster crackers or Club crackers, they make it soggy and nasty. In lieu of crackers, you could also use corn bread or corn bread muffins.

Final note: Chili is always better the next day.

No comments:

Post a Comment