6.03.2005

Best Buy Sucks

Best Buy Sucks is a great way to see how Best Buy fucks over their customers on a daily basis.

A quick scan over the recent complaints towards Best Buy reveals the following:

-A bloodthirsty staff on commission hellbent on selling you accessories and extended warranties instead of being truly knowledgable about their products. [I witnessed this first hand last weekend, and many times prior. I explained to the guy I didn't need anything else and he still kept bothering me about it.]
-A magazine scam when you are checking out where they take your credit card number to sign you up for a "free trial" of some magazine. If you don't cancel it, they charge you for the magazines without any real notice, other than the fine print. Beware of this scam.
-Their return policy is horrible. Digital cameras, camcorders and laptops all get a 15% restocking fee if returned open within 14 days. Bullshit. A 5% restocking fee wouldn't be that bad, but come on.
-Completely crappy staff at Best Buy.

I bought my first computer at Best Buy and let me tell you what a hassle that was. I had $2500 burning a hole in my pocket walking in the store. I had done my homework about the computer I wanted, and I had already checked with a sales associate on the phone to see if they had it in stock. They did. So I go in the store and tell the computer guy what I wanted and I hand him the sheet I had printed out, also explaining that I knew they had it in stock. They hate when you've done your homework. He starts giving me the runaround about the extended warranty, accessories, games, software, the whole shebang. I politely ignored him and told him that I would like to hold the computer, as I was going to go look around for some accessories of my own. I shop around, come back with a cart full of blank CD's, a game or two, a mouse, and a mousepad. So, after asking ol' boy where my computer was, he takes a long look into my cart, checking his own internal corporate bullshit spiel against my cart inventory. Again, he bugs me about accessories, and still my computer is up in a cage high above everything else where it hasn't been touched yet. So after this guy helps someone else, he goes up to get my computer. Finally! Then he turns me over to another sales associate who pushes the extended warranty (kindly declining, again) as well as the registration of the computer, which took forever. Finally, I am out of there, but not without grief. I was so aggravated by the time I got done, I vowed never to buy a computer there again. And, I haven't.

Morgan went to buy an iPod mount for her car. She had done her research online, found the mount she wanted, and headed down to Best Buy. After looking around for a minute or two, she asked the lady if they had the product she wanted. She said she hadn't heard of it. Morgan told her that she seen it on the website and said they had it in stock. The girl told her curtly and rudely that the inventory didn't always match the website, and left it at that. Undeterred by yet another rude Best Buy employee, she found it on her own - the last one in stock. She went back to tell the girl, who basically said, "That's nice," and went back to what she was doing.

From my relatively few jaunts to BB, I can honestly say that I have never had a good experience there. I don't plan to ever have a good experience there, and I won't be shopping there in the future unless absolutely necessary. ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY.

No comments:

Post a Comment