11.29.2003

Let's Get This Straight

DJ's are not musical artists. Disc Jockeys for radio stations, clubs, or funny enough, the gym I go to are all just that, disc jockeys. (Yes, during certain times, my gym hires a DJ for the evening) I don't mind these people, as long as they realize that all they are doing is putting on OTHER PEOPLE'S music for people to listen to. That's not art and it's not music. I do this same thing every time I get into my car. I'm sure that there are varying levels of talent, as with all things, but when you get right down to it, no matter how you spin the records, it's NOT ORIGINAL.



Also, what is it with all these goofy one word names to describe DJ's? I don't get it. DJ Skribble, DJ Quicky, DJ Wiz Kid, DJ Dumbfuck.
And to clarify, I know that there are different types of DJ's. There are basically three: the regular DJ (someone who plays on the radio or for a club, as described above), a "turntablist" (musicians whose instruments have styluses and motors, and whose reworking of beats and samples takes the records they spin so far from their original arrangements that they combine to create a new piece of music), and "scratching" (to take a record and pull it back and forth). Apparently, the ones who do the scratching and turning the tables don't like the fact that they share the same name as a guy at a radio station who puts on CD's for mass audiences to listen to. Tough titty said the kitty. No matter how you look at it, none of them are making original music. Here is something from the site Needlz.com: "When they hit a groove, a [Skratch] Piklz live show is a dazzling display of inspired chaos. Synchronized jams fracture into bouts of solo turntable-juggling; beats are broken down and reconstructed; tempos shift; vocal tracks are transformed into stuttered mantras in a panoply of scratch styles (of which there are supposedly over 300): Forwards, scribbles, moving scribbles, tears, chirps, tear chirps."

Whooptie shit. How many different ways could you possibly spin a record? How do you explain that to people? "So, what do you do Joe?" "I spin records on my free time. I spend countless hours finding the perfect beat." You don't fool me.
I don't see them scratching or turntabling their own music. Try playing an instrument and writing your own music for once, DJ Unoriginal.

No comments:

Post a Comment