9.28.2003

The End of an Era

Tomorrow marks the end of an era of my life that I can only describe as near-nirvana. I've been off work for three months and I have still received a paycheck every two weeks. Our post-deployment schedule had us mustering for about a half an hour two times a week from July 7th until August 14th. Then I went on leave for approximately a month and a half. Tomorrow I go back to work. I haven't exactly been dreading it, but I'm not welcoming it either. It's just something I want to get out of the way. The job is the same except for the lack of a ship, but the people will be different. I think I'm the only adult I know that has managed to get a paycheck and not work for 3 months without having some sort of medical problem.
Looking back on it all, it's been a great time. I got to meet the Reverend Horton Heat and the Silvermen. I learned how to make really good peanut butter and bannana smoothies. I keep up with the news more than I ever have, which makes me depressed. I joined a gym that I'm going to on a regular basis and that I actually enjoy going to. I learned how to eat healthy without much effort. I got a new apartment. I purchased high-speed Internet through the kind people who work at Cox Cable. I stayed up drinking coffee and perusing the Internet until 4 a.m. on countless occasions. I got slightly addicted to eBay. And many other things. It's been fun. I hope I get to do this again before I retire. I doubt it will happen. Anyone who doesn't work for three months is either a drug dealer, crippled, homeless, or a housewife. I'm not any of those things.

No comments:

Post a Comment